Norwich churches - St. Laurence

St. Laurence
St. Laurence, north side
Photo © S. Alsford

Another of the string of churches along Westwick Street, St. Laurence's was mentioned in Domesday Book (1086), but was probably not built until about the mid-eleventh century, by the Abbey of St. Edmund's, which had acquired the site from Bishop Aelfric. The current structure was built by the abbey between 1460 and 1472, with tower and chancel not completed until later in the century.

St. Laurence
From Corbridge's map of 1724.

Falling into disuse in the latter part of the twentieth century, it decayed and was closed. It is to slated for rehabilitation by the Churches Conservation Trust.

print window  |  close window